Amazon Gift Cards can refer to physical gift cards or electronic gift cards received via text message or email. These gift cards can be redeemed on your Amazon account and used as a payment method on the Amazon online store.
In this article, we’ll cover whether or not you can transfer your gift card balance and what to do if you’ve already redeemed your Amazon gift card.
Can I transfer my Amazon Gift Card balance?
The short answer is no, you cannot transfer your Amazon Gift Card balance. Amazon’s Terms and Conditions include several prohibited activities that severely restrict what individuals can do with their gift cards, including:
- Transfer Gift Card Balance to Another Amazon Account once the claim code was redeemed.
- Transfer the balance from a gift card to a debit card or credit card (like Mastercard or Visa).
- Use the balance of a gift card to withdraw funds to a bank account.
- Transfer the balance of a gift card to your PayPal account, your Amazon Pay balance, Cash App or any other online payment service.
- Use the gift card to purchase another gift card.
- Use the Amazon Gift Card to withdraw cash (except in certain cases where required by law).
- Transfer the gift card to another country.
The only chance you have to transfer your Amazon gift card or gift card balance to another account is to contact customer service. But because Amazon explicitly warns users to check which account they’re signed into when redeeming their gift card, they’re unlikely to cancel the trade and allow it to be redeemed on a separate account.
To note: If you haven’t redeemed your gift card yet, you may be able to redeem it on another account (if not linked to the original account).
How to Transfer Amazon Gift Card Balance
As mentioned above, the only way to transfer funds from an Amazon gift card balance is to ask the Amazon customer service team to reverse the redemption. This essentially resets the card information so you can top it up on another account using a new gift card code.
To contact Amazon customer support:
- Open the Amazon website and log into your account.
- Click it three horizontal lines on the left side of the screen.
- Scroll down and click Customer service.
- Click on Payments, fees, invoices and gift cards.
- Click on Gift cards.
- Click on Applied to the wrong account.
- Click on i need more help.
- Either request a phone call by clicking on Request a call now or chat with a customer service agent online by selecting Start chatting now.
To note: Amazon is highly unlikely to grant your request to reverse a buyout. However, as an exception to their policy, they may decide to reverse it. This differs from case to case, but since this is your only chance to collect the gift card, it’s worth it. Also note that this will only be possible if the balance of the gift card is intact. If part of the balance of the gift card has been spent, it will in no case be impossible to cancel the use of the card.
How to redeem an Amazon gift card for cash
If contacting Amazon customer service isn’t working for you, you may need to resort to more creative methods.
If you haven’t redeemed your gift card yet, it is possible to sell the gift card using social media and online marketplace platforms like Reddit or Craigslist. Likewise, people are often open to gift card swaps where you can trade one gift card for another. However, beware when doing this, as many people will try to scam you, and it is against Amazon’s terms and conditions.
One last thing to consider is offering to buy a few items from Amazon for your friends or family in exchange for money. This way, your friends get the items they were going to buy anyway, and you get money that you can use however you want.
Amazon.com Gift Cards: Account Locked Out
Although gift cards are often seen as an easy gift option, they almost always come with fine print that reduces their usefulness. Amazon eGift cards have no expiration date, can be set to arrive on any delivery date, and are easily redeemed using the gift card number. But after that, the gift card money can only be used on the Amazon store and you cannot transfer the balance to another account.
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to transfer your Amazon Gift Card balance. However, if you’re lucky, you might be able to use the card on another account.